Duke Kunshan University is a Sino-American partnership of Duke University and Wuhan University to create a world-class liberal arts and research university offering a range of academic programs for students from China and throughout the world. A non-profit, joint-venture institution, Duke Kunshan University was granted accreditation approval by China’s Ministry of Education in September 2013 and welcomed its inaugural class of graduate students and undergraduate exchange students in August 2014.
The Executive Director is responsible for providing strategic leadership for all facets of the Program and for ensuring the highest quality of research and education related to global health. S/he also is responsible for recruitment of world-class faculty and staff as well as staff management. He/she is also responsible for yielding up the academic and research activities related to global health.
Responsibilities include but not limited to
1. Leadership and governance
2. The ED plays a leading role in developing the vision and mission of global health
program, with inputs from other relevant faculty and staff of the program and university.
3. S/he will oversee the entire research portfolio and array of education programs being implemented at DKU.
4. S/he also should provide guidance to the Director of Graduate Studies on education activities, particularly as they impact and require faculty hiring and development.
5. Building in the achievements of the first five years, her/his main duty is to take the global health program at DKU to the next level so that it is recognized in China and globally for its high caliber research and innovative teaching.
6. Faculty recruitment and development
7. Under the auspice of the VCAA, the ED is responsible for developing and implementing an annual faculty recruitment plan for the global health program, and for faculty retention.
8. S/he is expected to undertake annual review/performance evaluations for all the DKU-based global health faculty and oversee the procedures undertaken for reappointment or/and promotion of faculty, as required by VCAA.
9. Student recruitment and development
• The successful applicant will have an MD or Ph.D. degree and 10 or more years of relevant experience, preferred at academic institutions with a record suitable for a tenured faculty appointment at Duke Kunshan University. Experience working in both China and other countries is highly desirable.
• An institution builder who understands the challenges and opportunities of working within and building a new university.
• A strategic leader who creatively and systematically can create and develop ways to improve the quality and visibility of the GH programs.
• H/she is knowledgeable about the evolving nature of the global research landscape in the 21st century.
• A strong problem solver and critical thinker with a strategic thinking mind set, and at the same time a person who also is hands-on. The qualified candidate must have a strong commitment to innovation and creative expression regarding the evolution and development of research and education programming.
•A solid team player who understands the value of collaboration and partnership in an academic setting.
• Experience with research and budget planning and management.
• Competence in cross-cultural communications and the ability to work with faculty, students and staff in a multicultural setting.
• Knowledge of contemporary China and the Chinese higher education environment is desirable.
Applicants should provide a cover letter including a clear statement of the candidate’s specific interest in DKU and in the advertised position, a curriculum vitae, as well as the names and contact information for three references. We will accept applications until the position is filled.